KingMtnTreasures

KingMtnTreasures
Handmade & Vintage Treasures

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My Precious Pets Series: Dinky the Dachshund

As you know I love my animals and they are a lot of inspiration behind my crafts. So, I am going to do a series called "My Precious Pets", each telling the story of each pet. I hope you come to love these guys as much as I do...

Dinky the Dachshund

     Dinky posing with my flowers

One day on Jacksonville Beach, I seen this little girl running around the beach with this little red Dachshund. I thought it was the cutest little thing, running as fast as it could, it's ears flopping up and down. I then thought I would like to have a dog like that. That was the first seed planted that grew into this gigantic love I have for Dachshunds. The desire to own one of these fabulous dogs stayed some where deep inside because growing up, I was not allowed to have an indoor dog or cat. After marrying my husband, who works and is away a lot, I started researching small dogs. I of course, read mostly about Dachshunds, but I wanted to check out other breeds to make sure the Dachshund was the dog for me.

     "Did someone say 'CHEESE'?"

Well, as you can see, I chose a Dachshund. In my research, I discovered the dapples and they soon became my favorite. I found a breeder about 2 1/2 hours away from me, that had a dapple pup that I thought I wanted. When I arrived, I sat on the floor to observe the pups, and although the one I came to see was friendly, Dinky was the one that chose me. I fell in love instantly.

     "Bahaha! Tobe you crack me up!"

Dinky is a registered miniature Dachshund, but I call him a tweenie because he weighs 18lbs. His color pattern in called "double dapple." You can have this pattern when you breed two dapples together, the pup will have a lot of white and blue eyes (not to be confused with a piebald). The breeder I got him from had been breeding her pair of dapples for four years, and he was the first that came out looking like this. You have to be careful, because they are at high risk for being deaf or blind. Dinky is neither but he is nearsighted. I have seen only two other dogs like him, one was deaf and blind, and the other was deaf. Dink will be 10yrs old this October. He loves squeaky toys, sleeping on the couch, road trips, treats, and cheese.

     Sleeping on the couch

I love all my animals, but Dinky and I have bonded in a way that I have never experience with any other dog. He comforts me when I am lonely or sad. He seems to know when I need a laugh and has a quirky way of  making facial expression or strange bark/whine sounds that cracks me up. He is real easy going, accepting any situation that I seem to put him in. He is currently registered with TDI (Therapy Dog International) as a therapy dog. We go to the local nursing home and assisted living every other Friday to visit and entertain the residents. He went on our mission trip last year to Jordan, MT and was able to visit their nursing home. Dink knows several tricks and loves performing for a rub on the head and treats.

     Enjoying some loven' at the nursing home

I cannot thank God enough for allowing this little guy to be a part of my life. He is one of my greatest blessings.

Check back next Tuesday for the installment of "My Precious Pet"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my post. I enjoy hearing your thoughts. Tisha