KingMtnTreasures

KingMtnTreasures
Handmade & Vintage Treasures

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My Precious Pets Series: Mickey Mouse the Pygmy Goat

As you know I love my animals and they are a lot of inspiration behind my crafts. So, I am going to do a series called "My Precious Pets", each telling the story of each pet. I hope you come to love these guys as much as I do...
Mickey Mouse the Pygmy Goat
Aaron and Mickey's first show, winning Reserved Best Wether

Once upon a time, many years ago, our farm business was providing pony rides and a petting zoo for parties and festivals. We had some small goats in our petting zoo that I thought were Pygmies, but I soon discovered that they were not after visiting the Georgia State Fair in Perry, GA.  This is a huge fair with lots of livestock shows and of course, NPGA (National Pygmy Goat Association) registered goats. It was here that I fell in love with the Pygmy goat. In 2004, we purchase a couple of registered does and began our adventure in the show ring. I found a beautiful carmel buck in New Mexico that I had to have. I found fellow Pygmy lover to pick him up at a show in NM and bring him back to their home in Texas. We drove to a show in Henderson, TX (12 hours one way) to pick him up and it was here we found Mickey Mouse.
     Tisha and Mickey in Lebanon, TN

Mickey was the runt in a set of triplets. He was scrawny, but stole out hearts. We purchase him, to give our young son, Aaron, a show animal to work with. He has a friendly, curious disposition that made in super special. Aaron wasn't sure about showing (sometimes he liked it, sometimes he didn't), so I took Mickey as my personal show wether. As he matured, he began winning the big Best Wether ribbons. He always had that alert, I'm happy to be here attitude. This is what gave him his edge. Some judges thought he was over weight though. I think he is beautiful.
     Aaron and Mickey at Go Getter Goat Show

In the NPGA, wethers who win championships get ranked as bronze (3 wins), silver (6 wins), gold (9 wins), and platinum (12 wins). After they reach platinum, they retire. We attended six shows as year and Mickey was winning every one as Best Wether. I took him the 2008 NPGA convention in Perry, Ga. There were goats from all over the US. The convention has a show to place National titles on animals, Mickey didn't win but he got 3 votes. After the National show, we had two more shows, with Mickey winning Best Wether in the first show and 3rd place in the second. You never know what a judge is looking for.
     Mickey's wall of fame

In early 2009, Mickey only needed one more win to be able to retire. Unfortunately, I injured my back and have been unable to show any goats since. Now he spends his days grazing the hill behind the barn and laying under the fan on hot summer days. He still has that special personality that makes him a winner...especially to us.
     Tisha and Mickey at NPGA National Convention

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my post. I enjoy hearing your thoughts. Tisha