KingMtnTreasures

KingMtnTreasures
Handmade & Vintage Treasures

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My Precious Pet Series: Goob the German Shepherd

As you know I love my animals and they are a lot of inspiration behind my crafts. So, I am going to do a series called "My Precious Pets", each telling the story of each pet. I hope you come to love these guys as much as I do...
Goob the German Shepherd
     Goob at 6 month old
Four years ago we moved from what was beginning to be suburbs, to a rural mountain area. We moved here to get away from all the hubbub of living not far from Atlanta. After living here about six months, a slight fear started to set in. We have a lot of wildlife (often killing our farm animals)  and the county I live in is #1 in Tennessee for meth production (you can hide a lot in these mountains). This is where I decided we needed a nice, large outside dog.
     Goob at 3 months old
I grew up with a German Shepherd and have many memories of how protective he was of me and my sister. So I started my search for a nice, quality, but hopefully affordable dog. It had to be a puppy because it needed to grow up around and accept all kinds of farm animals. German Shepherds have to be conditioned to other animals. The dog I had as a kid was always fighting with other dogs and killing squirrels, cats, whatever he could catch. I found a breeder about an hour away. We conversed several times about her dogs and their temperament and health, and I chose and put a deposit on my pup. He was a large pup with the most soulful, beautiful eyes.
     "Are you gonna throw the stick Aaron?"
Finally after four weeks, we were able to pick up our pup. He had grown significantly. My youngest son, who was 7 years old at the time, could hardly hold this hefty pup. I named him Gabe after the archangel Gabriel. We soon ended up calling him Goob because he's very smart but silly too. Reminds me of Goober on the Andy Griffin Show. Introduction to all the animals started immediately. He was extremely smart and easy to train. To teach him to stay on the porch, I crated him at night on our porch until he was old enough to stay on his own. Now he sleeps on a big bed by our door. After teaching him to walk with a leash, I would attach the leash to my belt loop and lead him in my duties on the farm. He learned to respect and not harm all the farm animals. He also learned he's not allowed outside the gates at the end of our driveway. He obediently sits at the gates while we fetch the mail.
     "Hey I want that snowball!"
Goob's first devotion is to our son, Aaron. He loves this child more than anything. Aaron spends a lot of time with him, throwing balls, sticks, rocks for him. He also loves the water, sitting in the creek, waiting for me to throw a rock or weed out of my garden into the creek. In the summer, we go to Tellico River and swim. Goob always knows we're going and dances at the back of the car, waiting to jump in. He loves to fetch anything you throw and is often seen with a ball, stick or rock hanging out of his mouth.
     Swimming at Tellico River
When Goob was six months old, we had him neutered. He was fine when we took him to the vet, but something happened after we left him in the office. As we were getting back in the truck, we heard a scream and then a dog yelp. Seconds later, the vet came out of the office with Goob on the leash and his arm was bleeding bad. Goob had bitten him twice, and the vet was extremely mad. He wouldn't tell us what happened. All I know is Goob was scared because he had released his anal sacs from fear. Yeah, we had to ride home in the truck with that awful smell. Since then, Goob is not particularly fond of men, growling and sometimes snapping at them.
     Goob and Jazzy
I couldn't have chosen a better dog for us. Goob is an awesome protector and companion to us all. He is wonderful part of our family. His dedication and love is evident in those big, beautiful, soulful, eyes.
     Sun bathing in the front porch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my post. I enjoy hearing your thoughts. Tisha