KingMtnTreasures

KingMtnTreasures
Handmade & Vintage Treasures

Friday, July 29, 2011

Best Ever Banana Nut Cake

My first taste of this awesome cake was several years ago at a NPGA show. My friend, Chastity, brought it for our potluck lunch. Of course, she shared her recipe and I have made it many times for several functions, always getting request for the recipe. I also like to make it into loaves without the icing. This way makes a great breakfast bread.

Banana Nut Cake

2 1/2 cups plain flour (make a healthier version with whole wheat flour)
1 cup sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup oil
2 eggs, beaten
3 ripe bananas


In a medium to large bowl sift your flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

In a separate, smaller bowl combine buttermilk, oil, eggs, and bananas.

Combine all ingredients and mix well with a blender.

Pour into greased and lightly floured pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes (depends on your pan) or until center is not sticking and top is golden brown. I'm using this large baking sheet, so I baked it for 20 minutes.

After cooling, I cut the cake into desired pieces. I like to do this before icing so it drains in between the layers.

Icing
1 stick butter or margarine
1lb box powdered sugar
1 ripe banana
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup nuts (optional)
1 Tablespoon water (if needed)


In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add in banana, lemon juice, and nuts till blended together. Do not boil.

Remove from heat and then add sugar; blending until smooth with no lumps. If it is too dry, add water
Drizzle icing over top, adding as much or as little that you want. I like to cover the whole thing
 Let me know what you think about this delicious cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my post. I enjoy hearing your thoughts. Tisha