KingMtnTreasures

KingMtnTreasures
Handmade & Vintage Treasures

Monday, July 11, 2011

My Precious Pet Series: Toby the Dachshund

As you know I love my animals and they are a lot of inspiration behind my crafts. So, I am going to do a series called "My Precious Pets", each telling the story of each pet. I hope you come to love these guys as much as I do...

      Posing by the plants

You all know how much I love my first Dachshund, Dinky, and it is with this love I went in search of my second Doxie. I wanted two things, I prefer male dogs and I wanted another dapple. I found Toby was owned by a local breeder. He was 8 weeks old and totally adorable.

     His first day with us

Toby was adorable but I wasn't prepared for the challenge he would become. I know dogs, even those of the same breed, have different personalities, or maybe to me, Dinky is the perfect dog. Dinky is and has always been easy to train, easy-going, willing to do anything kind of dog. Toby, I guess, came with some baggage that has made him a challenge or maybe it's because he was born on April Fool's Day. I first discovered his bad eating habits. He gobbles down his food so fast that he vomits if back up with in fifteen minutes. I have encouraged him to slow down by putting golf balls in his bowl. He is always searching for something to eat, almost like he is starving, but you can see from his pictures he is a bit on the pudgy side. Second, he has an anxiety disorder and is fearful. I have bought the book, Fearful Dog by Nicole Wilde, and her guide has helped him some. I didn't think he was ever going to be potty trained. He has a few more issues that I could do without but let me tell you his awesome qualities.

     Not very happy about the butterfly costume I made him.

He can always make me laugh with his funny faces and soulful eyes. Them big brown eyes shifting back and forth waiting for me to respond to his hi-jinks.He likes to play the part of the big guard dog, tail erect, hair brissled, the serious bark, but the slightest sound will send him scurrying back to be picked up. He jumps on my legs as if saying, "Get me! Hurry! Hurry! It's Coming!" He is always willing to snuggle or be the perfect lap dog. He is completely house trained (finally). He is willing to do almost anything as long as I'm there.

     If he can't get in your lap, he'll sit on your legs.

Toby has been the ideal playmate to Dinky. Dink was 8 years old when Toby came along. He was getting lazier and a little pudgy. They are so funny chasing each other around the house and playing tug-o-war with their favorite toy. Their favorite is Skineez toys. Toby has learned he can run under the bed and Dinky won't follow. Dink just sticks his head under and barks for Toby to come out with the toy. Toby also loves to wrestle with our cat when he's outside. 

     Modelling his new sweater

Although, Toby has been a challenge, he is also a blessing. Bringing to our home more laughter and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my post. I enjoy hearing your thoughts. Tisha