KingMtnTreasures

KingMtnTreasures
Handmade & Vintage Treasures

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

My Precious Pet: Lucky the Dachshund

As you know I love my animals and they are a lot of inspiration behind my crafts. So, I am going to do a series called "My Precious Pets", each telling the story of each pet. I hope you come to love these guys as much as I do...
     He's not very happy with for giving him a bath.
Lucky came to me through a co-worker about 6 years ago. She had a friend who lived in Kentucky that was trying to find a home for this Dachshund. She told me she didn’t know much about him other than the owners husband hated the dog and abused him regularly. The urgency in my co-workers plea, lead me to take on this adorable little guy.

His name is Lucky, which I guess is appropriate because he’s very lucky to be alive. He was 4 years old at this time. He is an adorable long-haired Dachshund. When I received him, he was a mess. Not so much his physical appearance as his mental stability.

He is extremely fearful and unwilling to trust. I can brush and bath him and take him for walks but that is about it. It has taken me a while to get to that point. He refuses to be an associate of man or boy of any kind. He, of course, is not house trained (one of the reasons for his abuse) and I have never been able to train him. For these two reasons, he is an outside dog. I rotate him from a kennel to a run. He loves the run the best because there is a big rock there and he like to play king of the rock. He makes a great watch dog, alerting us to anything going on around the farm.

This summer, because of the heat, I tried to trim his hair. He was surprisingly calm and allowed me to trim him up pretty good. But little is to be said of my grooming skills except "oh brother."


3 comments:

  1. This sis such a sad tale. How people can be so mean will never cease to amaze me even though I understand the depths of evil that dwell in mankind. Still I want to believe that people can have at least a tad bit of compassion. So glad Lucky has fond you. Perhaps one day it will change - that love will break through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growl... Sasha the dachshund here. Doxie abusers are just bad humans. Lucky, I is glad you found a good home with a Mommy who loves you so much. What a lucky dog you are to have a farm to pawtrol. Love your big rock, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too hope one day the love will break through. He is easily stressed and doesn't take to new situations.

    He does love to go for walks around the farm, sniffing out all the other animals. There are several large trees where his house is and he loves barking at the squirrels who jump in the trees.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my post. I enjoy hearing your thoughts. Tisha