KingMtnTreasures

KingMtnTreasures
USDA Licensed Breeder of African Pygmy Hedgehogs

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Organizing My DMC Floss

Below is a picture of how I store my DMC floss. I have tried putting it on those little plastic cards and placing them on a ring, but they become an unruly mess. So I just keep them in this storage box, in which, they have become an unruly mess also.
I seen on another blog (can't remember which one) where she has a taken her floss and wound them around old fashion wooden clothes pins and then stood them up in a beautiful basket. I thought, "what a great idea!" I had some of these clothes pins but not enough. I search for but could not find any at a price I was willing to pay. So I search my house to find something I could use in place of the clothes pins. I came up with this idea...
 
I bought this plastic tub with a lid (things stay cleaner this way), index cards, and fine point sharpie. You also need a pair of scissors.
First, I spread all my floss out by colors. I used 2 index cards per color to keep it sturdy. I wrote the color number in the top left-hand corner, and then proceeded to wrap the floss around the cards. I left about an inch from the right side, where I place a small cut to secure the end of the thread.
Last I stored them in my box, organized by color then by number. I also added a small plastic basket to contain my scissors, pens, etc.
Unfortunately, I miss calculated how much floss I had and had to buy a bigger box...lol. But even after purchasing the second box, I came out cheeper than purchasing the clothes pins. My solution does not look as pretty, but it was easy, is functional, I don't have to dust it, and was cheap.


4 comments:

  1. How inventive! You found a great solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gak! All mine looks like your before photo! I used to cross stitch but haven't for awhile..I guess I've been too busy. I do need to get back to it though! Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to sit and embroider while I'm watching one of my favorite shows.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my post. I enjoy hearing your thoughts. Tisha